Car accidents and injuries are a frequent occurrence in North Carolina. It doesn’t matter whether you are a safe driver or not. There will always be someone on the roads that is distracted, reckless, drunk, or negligent in some way or the other contributing to a devastating crash. You may be entitled to obtaining compensation if you were injured in a car accident in North Carolina, which occurred because of someone else’s fault.
These are a few common types of car accidents in North Carolina:
You may be able to acquire compensation for different injuries and damages depending on your specific situation. You may be entitled to the following types of compensation if it is established that your accident was because of another North Carolina driver’s negligence:
You should immediately get in touch with a qualified car accident attorney if the insurance company made a settlement offer to you. You need a knowledgeable and skilled attorney to evaluate the compensation amount and determine whether it is full and fair. The lawyer will also be able to help you with legal advice on whether you should take the case to trial or not.
North Carolina is a pure contributory negligence state. This means that if it is established that the car accident was partially because of your fault, you may lose the right to seek compensation for your injuries. It doesn’t matter whether your fault was 1% and the other driver’s fault was 99%. You would still lose the right to recover damages.
This is why it is important that you have a seasoned personal injury attorney involved from the beginning. You need to prove that you were not at all at fault to be able to hold the other driver responsible for your injuries.
Statute of limitations refers to the time limit in all personal injury accidents for filing a claim. It is important that you file the claim before the statute of limitations if you want to file a civil lawsuit against the corporation or person that caused the auto accident. Your claim will be rejected if you file it after the statute of limitations expires. The statute of limitations in North Carolina for filing a personal injury lawsuit is 3 years.
You need to find a lawyer that will not leave any stones unturned for getting you the maximum compensation when you find yourself the victim of a car crash. This compensation will be for your pain and suffering, missed work, and medical expenses.
The car accident attorneys at Tatum & Atkinson, PLLC are here to help you with sound legal advice. Get in touch with us today by calling at 800-529-0804 or using our online contact form for scheduling a free, no-obligation consultation.